RFR: 8231289: Disentangle JvmtiRawMonitor from ObjectMonitor and clean it up

serguei.spitsyn at oracle.com serguei.spitsyn at oracle.com
Mon Oct 7 08:42:33 UTC 2019

Hi David,

Suppose, T1 thread is blocked on a raw monitor hold by thread T3 in JVMTI
MonitorContendedEntered callback on an object monitor hold by thread T2.

In theory, if only raw monitor is used in further deadlock detection
analysis
then a possible dependency loop with T1 an T2 involved won't be detected.
For full analysis the dependency chain through object monitor have to be
also analyzed.
This would add extra complexity into the deadlock detection code for
very rare corner case.

I do not care much about this, and so, like the approach.
The fix itself looks good to me.

Thanks,
Serguei