RFR(S): 8231949: [PPC64, s390]: Make async profiling more reliable

Haug, Gunter gunter.haug at sap.com
Fri Oct 11 12:14:12 UTC 2019

Hi Richard,

That's a really good idea, not only for PPC but even more so for s390. On PPC we always have a valid SP, which I think doesn't hold on s390.
Otherwise +1 for Martin's change.

Gunter // not a Reviewer

On 11.10.19, 14:07, "Reingruber, Richard" <richard.reingruber at sap.com> wrote:

    Hi Martin,

    your changes look like an improvement to me.

    I wonder if that complexity and risk of crashing for interpreter frames is necessary at all...
    Well, maybe if we've got some hot, but not compilable method.
    Personally I'd prefer a safe solution. Profiling should _never_ crash the vm.

    For instance we could write the currently interpreted method and a recent bcp to the thread.

    Richard.  // not yet Reviewer