RFR: 8231981: Refactor test definitions to split RT and SVC tests

David Holmes david.holmes at oracle.com
Sun Oct 13 02:34:57 UTC 2019

On 13/10/2019 3:27 am, Leonid Mesnik wrote:
> I think you messed tier3 test group and tier3 task definitions in our
> internal test system. They are not related. jtreg tiers groups don't
> define any vm flags.

Yes I know the jtreg groups don't define flags, but the tier task
definitions do and they also map to jtreg groups. That said I was
mis-reading the group definitions.

> The hotspot_tier3_runtime excludes all hotspot_tier2_runtime, so it
> means that hotspot_tier3_runtime doesn't include any of serviceability
> tests.
>
>   404 hotspot_tier3_runtime = \
>   405   runtime/ \
>   406  -:tier1_runtime \
>   407  -:hotspot_tier2_runtime_platform_agnostic \
>   408  -:hotspot_tier2_runtime

I was looking at the original form:

  402 hotspot_tier3_runtime = \
  403   runtime/ \
  404   serviceability/ \
  405  -:tier1_runtime \
  406  -:tier1_serviceability \
  407  -:hotspot_tier2_runtime_platform_agnostic \
  408  -:hotspot_tier2_runtime

which is basically saying that for serviceability we would automatically
run all tests in tier3 that had not previously been run in tiers 1 or 2.
Now it may be that is currently an empty set, but it would mean that if
any tests were later excluded from tier2 then they would still be in
tier3. With the new format there is no tier3 for serviceability, so if
any tier2 test gets excluded from a group (because it is too slow for
example) then it will simply be dropped, unless the person doing the
exclusion realizes they need to add another group to catch it for a
later tier.

Ideally I think we would use this kind of pattern up through at least
tier4. But I suspect if a resulting group is empty we may run foul of
jtreg's "no tests selected to run" error. :(

David