RFR(L) 8231610 Relocate the CDS archive if it cannot be mapped to the requested address

Ioi Lam ioi.lam at oracle.com
Thu Oct 17 06:04:57 UTC 2019

On 10/16/19 8:49 PM, Volker Simonis wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 1:58 AM Jiangli Zhou <jianglizhou at google.com> wrote:
>> Hi Ioi,
>>
>> This is another great step for CDS usability improvement. Thank you!
>>
>> I have a high level question (or request): could we consider
>> separating the relocation work for 'direct' class metadata from other
>> types of metadata (such as the shared system dictionary, symbol table,
>> etc)? Initially we only relocate the tables and other archived global
>> data. When each archived class is being loaded, we can relocate all
>> the pointers within the current class. We could find the segment (for
>> the current class) in the bitmap and update the pointers within the
>> segment. That way we can reduce initial startup costs and also avoid
>> relocating class data that's not used at runtime. In some real world
>> large systems, an archive may contain extremely large number of
>> classes.
>>
> Hi Jiangli,
>
> happy to see that you are still working on this and continuously improve CDS :)
>
> I currently only have a quick question: if you relocate the contents
> of the CDS archive, does this mean that you have to map the whole
> archive r/w and basically modify all the pages? In that case, CDS
> would only help to improve startup time but not for reducing the
> memory footprint (i.e. RSS) of multiple JVM running in parallel using
> the same archive. Is that correct?
Yes, that's correct.

One possibility is to reorder the data to segregate the objects that
have no embedded pointers. This could allow perhaps 20~30% of the
archive to be shared, even with pointer patching.

Also, if we follow up with the incremental patching idea proposed by
Jiangli, any classes that are not yet loaded will not be modified.

In our testing environment, we have a fairly small number of mapping
failures (below 1%), so I don't think the performance degradation caused
by relocation matters too much. However, now that we can guarantee that
CDS is always enabled, we can do more optimizations. E.g., AOT-compiled
code can now have references into the CDS data and can assume that it's
always available. So hopefully CDS can be used as a basic building block
for future optimization work.

Thanks
- Ioi