RFR (S) 8235962: os::current_thread_id() is not signal safe on macOS

gerard ziemski gerard.ziemski at oracle.com
Mon Jan 13 18:43:43 UTC 2020

hi all,

Before JDK-8022808 we used to call "mach_thread_self()" to obtain a
thread id, but back then we forgot to release the returned mach port,
which would make a long running java process (like Kitchensink)
eventually run out of resources and hang it.

To solve that, in JDK-8022808, we switched to using
"pthread_mach_thread_np(pthread_self())", which returns a static mach
port, which does not need to be released.

However, the "pthread_mach_thread_np()" API, which we started using is
specifically knownn as not async-signal-safe API and that might cause an
issue, because we use it to generate thread ids in hs_err_pid.log crash
log files in our signal handler, which requires that only
async-signal-safe API be used.

Our crash handler is best effort approach, and to this extend I'd like
to propose a fix, which reverts back to using "mach_thread_self()",
which I must admit is unknown whether it itself is async-signal-safe,
though it's not part of pthread API, like "pthread_mach_thread_np()"
which itself is not part of async-signal-safe APIs (IEEE Std 1003.1,
2016). Additionally, the reporter of the issue suggest that it solves
the actual issue with using "pthread_mach_thread_np()" for them in their
project, so let's benefit from their experience.

In this fix we revert back to using "mach_thread_self()" API, but make
sure to release the mach port, and use MACH_PORT_VALID() macro to verify
the validity of mach port.

webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~gziemski/8235962_rev1/index.html
Tested with Mach5 tier1,2,3,4,5 and Kitchensink24 and
Kitchensink24Stress locally on Mac laptop over 2 days.

cheers