RFR(S) 8245925 G1 allocates EDEN region after CDS has executed GC

Ioi Lam ioi.lam at oracle.com
Mon Jun 8 22:21:17 UTC 2020

On 6/8/20 7:12 AM, Thomas Schatzl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 06.06.20 07:51, Ioi Lam wrote:
>>

>> On 6/5/20 2:38 PM, Jiangli Zhou wrote:
>>> Hi Ioi,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the updated webrev.
>>>
>>> To avoid the assert, could you call GCLocker::stall_until_clear in
>>> MetaspaceShared::preload_and_dump() before grabbing the 'Heap_lock'
>>> and VMThread::execute(&op), like following. It is the best to check
>>> with Thomas and other GC experts about the interaction between
>>> 'Heap_lock' and 'GCLocker'.
>>>
>>>          if (HeapShared::is_heap_object_archiving_allowed()) {
>>>            GCLocker::stall_until_clear();
>>>          }
>> Hi Jiangli,
>>
>> Thanks for the review.
>>
>> I don't think this is sufficient. Immediately after
>> GCLocker::stall_until_clear() has returned, another thread can invoke
>> a JNI function that will activate the GCLocker. That's stated by the
>> gcLocker.hpp comments:
>>
>> http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk/jdk/file/882b61be2c19/src/hotspot/share/gc/shared/gcLocker.hpp#l109
>

> The GCLocker::stall_until_clear()/GClocker::is_active() loop seems to
> try to achieve something different than what the CR tries to fix.
>
> The change without that loop/GClocker::stall_until_clear() already
> fully achieves that there is no allocation between compaction and the
> CDS dump (at least for STW collectors or collectors that can do a
> "full" collection during an STW pause.)
>
> This additional code to wait for GCLocker being inactive to always get
> a contiguous range of memory is a different matter:
>
> Using GCLocker::stall_until_clear() does not work: it would only wait
> for completion of all JNI critical sections if a gc had been requested
> while these JNI critical sections were active. Otherwise it would do
> nothing and let the caller continue, some threads still being in a
> critical section and the gclocker held. Which means that the following
> full gc may still "fail".
>
> (That gc would set needs_gc and then it would work. But since you did
> not know whether the first full gc has been successful, you would need
> another one. Since at that point the return from the last JNI CS would
> trigger a young gc, you have two extra gcs in the common case...).
>
> Another serious problem is that the stall_until_clear() code is
> written to be only called in a Java thread. I do not think it works in
> the VM thread without lots of more thought (and at least necessary
> changes to asserts). As Jiangli mentions, there is likely also an
> issue with ordering of Heap_lock and JNI_critical_lock.
>
> The GCLocker::is_active() loop is a bit better as it makes sure that
> all threads left the JNI critical section and since we are in a
> safepoint, when exiting the VM call these threads will block (and not
> be able to go into another critical section).
>
> So the full gc will likely be able to move away all objects from eden
> regions.
>
> However:
> [...]
Hi Thomas & Jiangli,

Thanks for the comments. I have created an updated webrev:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~iklam/jdk15/8245925-g1-eden-after-cds-gc.v04/

Now the code works the same way as jcmd GC.heap_dump, which also check
for GCLocker before calling collect_as_vm_thread():

http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk/jdk/file/523a504bb062/src/hotspot/share/gc/shared/gcVMOperations.cpp#l124

Question to Thomas -- is it necessary to call
Universe::heap()->ensure_parsability(false)?

Have removed the loop and just print a warning message that the archived
heap may be sub-optimal.

Jiangli> Could you please describe the specific issue that you want to
address with GCLocker?

With the current code base, we execute very simple Java code during
-Xshare:dump, so after all classes are loaded, GCLocker should not be
active. As noted in the code comments, GCLocker will be active only in
the unlikely scenario where the Java code in core lib has been modified
to do some sort of clean up that involves JNI code.

What do you think?

Thanks
- Ioi

======
[PS] I am adding an assert like this to run tier1-4 in mach5 to see if
this can happen.

+  assert(!GCLocker::is_active(), "huh");
    if (GCLocker::is_active()) {