RFR: 8238761: Asynchronous handshakes [v3]

Robbin Ehn rehn at openjdk.java.net
Mon Sep 21 11:06:04 UTC 2020

On Mon, 21 Sep 2020 05:18:06 GMT, David Holmes <dholmes at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Robbin Ehn has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional commit since the last revision:
>>
>>   Removed double check, fix comment, removed not needed function, updated logs
>
> src/hotspot/share/runtime/handshake.cpp line 313:
>
>> 311:   }
>> 312:
>> 313:   int executed_by_driver = 0;
>
> Again why driver?? Isn't it either the current thread or the target that will execute the op?

The thread executing this handshake operation, what the current thread is doesn't matter.
You can't use current threads resources or be dependent otherwise on it.

Exception being locking issues in JVM TI, where we are dependent that requester have locked JVM TI state lock for us,
but we are not dependent that the current thread is the owner. So checking that the lock is held by requester doesn't
matter for how is the 'driver'.

> src/hotspot/share/runtime/handshake.cpp line 453:
>
>> 451:   // If all handshake operations for the handshakee are finished and someone
>> 452:   // just adds an operation we may see it here. But if the handshakee is not
>> 453:   // armed yet it is not safe to procced.
>
> s/procced/proceed/

Fixed