RFR: 8251158: Implementation of JEP 387: Elastic Metaspace [v2]

Thomas Stuefe stuefe at openjdk.java.net
Tue Sep 29 07:58:06 UTC 2020

On Tue, 29 Sep 2020 05:03:11 GMT, Thomas Stuefe <stuefe at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Besides my comment about globals.hpp option MetaspaceGuardAllocations, my comments are minor things and I approve this
>> change.  There might be some additional things we find that we'll want to change once this code is integrated.  This is
>> a significant improvement to metaspace memory management.  Great work, @tstuefe !
>
> Hi Leo,
>
>> I just have a few cosmetic comments. Otherwise it looks good to me.
>>
>> If you sort by ASCII order, I get a few unordered includes:
>> ("." < "/" < "a-z,A-Z")
>
> I will fix all those.
>

>> blockTree.hpp
>> add a space after loop keyword "for(;;) {" -> "for (;;) {"
>>
>> blockTree.cpp
>> add a space after loop keyword "} while(0)" -> "} while (0)" (twice in file)
>>

> Okay
>
>> I still think we should try to get the initializer list indented
>> somewhat consistently.
>
> I agree, will do.

Hi,

thanks for the reviews! New version:

- Hotspot style fixes - sorted all include sections, and removed empty lines from them; fixed whitespace issues in loop
  constructs; fixed include guard names; squashed empty lines
- Moved verification code from commitmask.hpp to commitmask.cpp
- Squashed multiple empty lines to one and condensed code a bit more
- Changed ctor initializer lists: I decided on two formats. Two space indentation, colon follows prototype name,
  punctuation at the end, all in one line or one line per member:

XXX() : _m1(xx), _m2(xx) {
  blub
}

XXX() :
  _m1(xx),
  _m2(xx),
  _m3(xx),
  _m4(xx)
{
  blub
}

- Made MetaspaceGuardAllocations diagnostic