RFR: 8263603: Remove leftovers of "FPE_FLT..." type signals from regular signal handling code [v2]

David Holmes david.holmes at oracle.com
Fri Mar 26 03:01:59 UTC 2021

Hi Gerard,

On 26/03/2021 1:03 am, Gerard Ziemski wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Mar 2021 07:19:17 GMT, David Holmes <dholmes at openjdk.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi Gerard,
>>
>> Thanks for tackling this one.
>>
>> I'm not certain we should make this a fatal condition rather than just printing a warning and throwing the exception. Perhaps use an assert.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> David
>
> Thank you David for the review.
>
> I figured that if we were to get such unexpected signal we would be in unknown territory, but I can change it to assert instead.

Note that I also suggested that we throw the exception. I don't think we
can just do nothing here as it implies we'd return potential junk to a
FP computation. Though in that case is there actually any point in
making any changes to this code?

While we no longer use the x87 co-processor in hotspot code, I'm
concerned there may be legacy third-party libraries that may still use
it via their own native code, and so potentially enable and trigger
these floating-point signals.