RFR: 8263028: Windows build fails due to several treat-warning-as-errors

Yi Yang yyang at openjdk.java.net
Sun Mar 28 04:43:41 UTC 2021

On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 13:47:39 GMT, Jorn Vernee <jvernee at openjdk.org> wrote:

> Based on Ioi's suggestion I decided to try with a different locale as well. I tried setting my system locale to something else and with that I was able to reproduce the warnings you report, so it _could_ be an issue with locale settings. AFAIK only `en-us` is supported. Maybe you could confirm/check your locale settings as well? (can run `systeminfo` to get the current setting)
>
> I've had problems in the past as well because I had the wrong locale set, and some of the tests were failing because of that. So, maybe rather than disabling the warnings, it might be more prudent to change the system locale of the used build systems to prevent similar issues in the future (FWIW, the display language doesn't seem to affect `cl` so that could still be whatever is convenient).

Hi Jorn,

Sorry for the delayed response. I set the locale of my Cygwin environment to en-us via  `export LC_ALL="en_US.UTF-8"`, these warnings are generated when compiling as well as before. Should I change this setting globally instead of just changing it in Cygwin?

Anyway, it seems that this problem is caused by the locale setting because as you mentioned, this problem appears when you change the locale setting to Chinese. Setting the locale to English does not have this problem. I checked the building document, but there is no mention of the need to set the locale option to en-us before building JDK. If this is really a necessary step for building, I think we should add this step in the building document, otherwise, I think we should fix this problem in HotSpot.

Best Regards
Yang