RFR: 8266497: Remove unnecessary EMCP liveness indication

Serguei Spitsyn sspitsyn at openjdk.java.net
Wed May 5 01:09:54 UTC 2021

On Tue, 4 May 2021 12:31:46 GMT, Coleen Phillimore <coleenp at openjdk.org> wrote:

> Marking running_emcp for Method* is unnecessary.  We can set/clear breakpoints in all old emcp methods because they're not deallocated until none are running.  See longer explanation in the CR.
>
> Tested with tier1-6, tiers 7,8 are running and 98% passing.

Hi Coleen,

This looks good to me in general.
I'm a little bit puzzled why the check ` emcp_method_count != 0` is needed at the line:
`4005   if (emcp_method_count != 0 && obsolete_method_count != 0 &&`

Suppose, the emcp_method_count is equal to 0.
Then do we really want to skip marking all the methods of this InstanceKlass as obsolete?
Most likely, I'm missing something.

Thanks,
Serguei