Extend jcmd to java application level

Erik Gahlin erik.gahlin at oracle.com
Fri Oct 8 08:47:48 UTC 2021

To make an application command usable, it must provide metadata (name and description of the command, its options’ data types, units, default values, if it is mandatory etc.) and error handling. This will make the API surface larger and trickier to get right.

(Not a full overlap, but we are thinking of adding more interactive capabilities to JFR now that we have event streaming. The design hasn’t started, but one could imagine a command to see object allocation events aggregated in a histogram. Such a command may be able to operate on user-defined events as well, including requestable/periodic events.)

Erik

That seems an ideal solution. I think there are some potential code consolidation work further. With this change, some existing C++ JFR Jcmd structure definitions(and other Jcmd commands) in VM level can also be lifted to Java level because they simply forward request to Java level by JavaCalls::call_static.