RFR: 8269175: [macosx-aarch64] wrong CPU speed in hs_err file

Daniel D.Daugherty dcubed at openjdk.java.net
Wed Oct 13 21:38:54 UTC 2021

On Tue, 12 Oct 2021 20:25:55 GMT, Gerard Ziemski <gziemski at openjdk.org> wrote:

> macOS does not provide CPU speed for M1, but we currently try to report it in hs_err log file:
>
> `  Host: gerard-mac, "Macmini9,1" arm64 1 MHz, 8 cores, 16G, Darwin 20.5.0, macOS 11.4 (20F71)`
>
> and end up with a bogus "1MHz" value, so we will simply skip the CPU speed from now on for M1 machines:
>
> `  Host: gerard-mac, "Macmini9,1" arm64, 8 cores, 16G, Darwin 20.5.0, macOS 11.4 (20F71)`

The changes look okay. If Apple changes their Apple Silicon policy
in the future, then we'll have an even more complicated situation,
but we'll cross that bridge if and when that happens.

What kind of testing was done on this change? While I don't expect
any tests to be unhappy about the missing speed data, I have been
surprised in the past.