RFR: JDK-8275856: Remove MetaspaceHandleDeallocations debug switch

Thomas Stuefe stuefe at openjdk.java.net
Wed Oct 27 09:13:32 UTC 2021

`MetaspaceHandleDeallocations` can be used to switch off deallocation handling (which takes care of reusing prematurely deallocated metaspace blocks in case of e.g. class redefinitions or class loading errors). Technically this is a leak then, the intent was to switch off the deallocation handling for error analysis.

It had been very rarely used, only in the first stages of JEP 387, and it is not covered by tests. I propose to remove it to reduce code complexity.

Tests: GHAs, manual tests (note that we have regression tests in place for deallocation handling), SAP nightlies

Commit messages:
 - remove MetaspaceHandleDeallocations switch

 Webrev: https://webrevs.openjdk.java.net/?repo=jdk&pr=6098&range=00
  Fetch: git fetch https://git.openjdk.java.net/jdk pull/6098/head:pull/6098