Small question about JDK-8253064 and ObjectMonitor allocation

Thomas Stüfe thomas.stuefe at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 06:34:16 UTC 2022

Hi,

I wonder if I understand this correctly:

- Monitors are only deflated by the MonitorDeflationThread, if I ignore
races on inflation
- The MonitorDeflationThread processes them in intervals of 250ms
(AsyncDeflationInterval), but only if there are more than 90
(MonitorUsedDeflationThreshold) monitors in use, and only in bulks of 1mio
(MonitorDeflationMax).

Is there any upward bound preventing the creation of ObjectMonitors, since
creation races with this one thread, and we also cap its ability to process
more than 1mio?

The background of my question is that I try to get a feel for the maximum
number of live monitors. When running renaissance philosophers benchmark I
see that the VM has, depending on machine speed and optimization level, >
2.5 million live ObjectMonitors, taking > 400MB heap space. Is this by
design?

The annoying thing is that these peaks in C-heap usage can be sticky,
depending on libc implementation. The glibc especially has poor reclaim
behavior. Also, it is hidden in NMT under "mtInternal", which is why I
propose to at least give it its own category (
https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8281450).

Thanks, Thomas