RFR: JDK-8281460: Let ObjectMonitor have its own NMT category

David Holmes dholmes at openjdk.java.net
Thu Feb 10 07:19:09 UTC 2022

On Tue, 8 Feb 2022 08:10:05 GMT, Thomas Stuefe <stuefe at openjdk.org> wrote:

> It would be useful to distinguish ObjectMonitor allocations in NMT, as a simple way to both to see the needed footprint as well as the number of allocated monitors.
>
> Note, this needs [JDK-8281450](https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8281450) as a prerequisite.

I'm fine with this as is (modulo Dan's suggested ObjectMonitor change).

I agree with @shipilev that as NMT usage expands we are going to need to more carefully consider how we tag things (and whether we need a way to group tags) so that we can try to address fine- and coarse-grained enquiries.

Cheers,