RFR: 8299343: Windows: Invalid thread_native_entry declaration

Julian Waters jwaters at openjdk.org
Wed Jan 4 12:55:49 UTC 2023

On Sun, 25 Dec 2022 01:19:29 GMT, Kim Barrett <kbarrett at openjdk.org> wrote:

> Please review this change to the Windows version of thread_native_entry.  It
> is changed from being inconsistently declared (both file-scoped and external)
> to consistently being a private static member function in os::win32.  It's
> signature is also changed to match where it's used, eliminating the need for a
> function pointer cast.
>
> Testing:
> mach5 tier1

Could we refactor the rest of the platform specific thread entry definitions to be static members too after this change? As Kim points out there is not really an actual difference between a static member and file scoped func in terms of calling convention, and the rest of the platforms have identical definitions and callsites to Windows too meaning such a change wouldn't affect them much either, all of them are defined in os_*.cpp and used solely for `os::create_thread`. Only thing is that they don't have the corresponding declaration in the header like Windows does, at least until this is integrated