<i18n dev> Intent to commit modifications to Character.java

Martin Buchholz martinrb at google.com
Mon Aug 10 14:10:57 PDT 2009

I should really be doing something else, but
I reworked my "surrogate readability patch"
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~martin/webrevs/openjdk7/isSurrogate2/
to take into account Joe's suggestions.

Masayoshi, hope that's OK with you.
The new javadoc makes the values of various jsr 204 constants
more obvious than before.

I intend to fold the two isSurrogate patches into one and commit them
when I get CCC approval.  Speaking of which... has that happened yet?

Martin

On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 09:37, Joseph D. Darcy<Joe.Darcy at sun.com> wrote:
> Martin Buchholz wrote:
>>
>> Hi Masayoshi,
>>
>> Hmmm,
>> I was thinking "but all you have to do to get the actual value
>> is follow the @link to the constant (e.g. MAX_SURROGATE)"
>> but I tried that but... for example...
>>
>> http://download.java.net/jdk7/docs/api/java/lang/Character.html#MAX_SURROGATE
>> does not document the hex value.
>>
>> I think *that's* where we should move the description of the hex value.
>> I propose to modify my patch in that way.
>>
>> (The hex values are also documented in the Character class comment)
>>

> Yes, I agree it is perfectly reasonable and informative for the MAX_FOO
> documentation to say "MAX_FOO is 0xabcd".  That is the right place for such
> detailed information.
> In contrast, I don't find the isFoo method's documentation saying
>   "Returns true if c >= 0x1234 && c <= 0xabcd"
> when the actual code uses the more readable
>   "return c >= MIN_FOO && c <= MAX_FOO"
> to be kind to readers of the javadoc!
>
> -Joe
>
>> Martin
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 22:34, Masayoshi Okutsu<Masayoshi.Okutsu at sun.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Hi Martin,
>>>
>>> I vaguely remember that we (jsr204) followed the convention of the
>>> Character
>>> class to mention Unicode values in the API doc. It's also convenient to