<i18n dev> Security fixes are back; other fixes can go in. Time for build 18?

Andrew John Hughes gnu_andrew at member.fsf.org
Thu Dec 10 10:06:09 PST 2009

2009/12/9 Joseph D. Darcy <Joe.Darcy at sun.com>:
> [...]
>>>
>>> This is a fairly serious issue; I currently can't build OpenJDK6
>>> unless I apply that patch first and no doubt others will see this too
>>> (all F12 users for a start).

>>> There is one, but I was thinking of the test issues you raised in
>>> previous emails.

>>> Well, I think most things can probably be sorted this week.  The X11
>>> fix is the real blocker.  Can we not just turn jcheck off or something
>>> for one commit?
>>>
>>> I'm currently building OpenJDK6 with the timezone fixes applied and it
>>> looks ok so far.  I'll post a webrev once it completes.
>>>
>>> There are two more tz issues worthy of consideration that I didn't
>>> include yet because they are not related to the data, but would be
>>> good to have.  One adds support for old timezone IDs (I'm wary of this
>>> because it introduces a property) and the other fixes an issue with
>>> determining the timezone on GNU/Linux boxes which I believe will
>>> obsolete a different but related fix in IcedTea6.  I'd also like to
>>> add a simple patch which fixes up the remaining data differences
>>> between 6 and 7 (just typos and revision headers) which seems to have
>>> occurred in the black hole between the OpenJDK6 fork and the OpenJDK7
>>> hg repositories.
>>>
>>> Finally, during build, I just spotted another issue.  The langtools
>>> build wrongly passes -Werror to javac and this has been removed in the
>>> OpenJDK7 version.  It only shows up if you build OpenJDK6 with
>>> OpenJDK7, so it's minor but probably worth fixing.  I doubt that is
>>> the only building-with-7 issue though.

>>> --
>>> Andrew :-)
>>>
>>> Free Java Software Engineer
>>> Red Hat, Inc. (http://www.redhat.com)
>>>
>>> Support Free Java!
>>> Contribute to GNU Classpath and the OpenJDK
>>> http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath
>>> http://openjdk.java.net
>>>
>>> PGP Key: 94EFD9D8 (http://subkeys.pgp.net)
>>> Fingerprint: F8EF F1EA 401E 2E60 15FA  7927 142C 2591 94EF D9D8
>>>

>> No sooner did I write that than it built:
>>
>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~andrew/tz/webrev.01/
>>

> Approved.
>
>> The remaining three tz fixes are:
>>
>> changeset:   639:67c41d740e6d
>> user:        peytoia
>> date:        Mon Sep 08 15:21:55 2008 +0900
>> summary:     6466476: (tz) Introduction of tzdata2005r can introduce
>> incompatility issues with some JDK1.1 3-letter TZ Ids
>> http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk7/jdk7/jdk/rev/67c41d740e6d
>>
>> changeset:   1693:92b6482e7719
>> user:        peytoia
>> date:        Mon Aug 31 14:53:05 2009 +0900
>> summary:     6456628: (tz) Default timezone is incorrectly set
>> occasionally on Linux
>> http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk7/jdk7/jdk/rev/92b6482e7719
>>

> These other backports approved.
>
>> and http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~andrew/tz/webrev.02 which needs a bug ID.
>>

> Approved to use 6908946 "(tz) Sync JDK 7 tz changes into OpenJDK 6" for this

Thanks. All of them are now in OpenJDK6.

There is one more backport lurking in IcedTea6:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~andrew/tz/webrev.03/

The actual code fix went in to OpenJDK7 in the black hole between the
two (b22): http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/security-dev/2009-August/001153.html
 There should be a bug ID as a result -- presumably, you can discover
that internally?

The test case included in the webrev is from Mark Wielaard and is
contributed through Red Hat's SCA.

CCing i18n-dev in case they have any input; it would be nice to have
the test case in 7 too as well as the fix.