<i18n dev> Security fixes are back; other fixes can go in. Time for build 18?

Andrew John Hughes gnu_andrew at member.fsf.org
Thu Dec 10 13:30:17 PST 2009

2009/12/10 Joseph D. Darcy <Joe.Darcy at sun.com>:
> Andrew John Hughes wrote:

> [snip]

>>> Approved.

>>> These other backports approved.

>>> Approved to use 6908946 "(tz) Sync JDK 7 tz changes into OpenJDK 6" for
>>> this
>>> change.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> -Joe
>>>

>> Thanks. All of them are now in OpenJDK6.
>>
>> There is one more backport lurking in IcedTea6:
>>
>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~andrew/tz/webrev.03/
>>
>> The actual code fix went in to OpenJDK7 in the black hole between the
>> two (b22):
>> http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/security-dev/2009-August/001153.html
>>  There should be a bug ID as a result -- presumably, you can discover
>> that internally?
>>

> Donning my fedora and brandishing a bullwhip, the bug id for this change was
> 6584033 "(tz) wrong buffer length in TimeZone_md.c"; from sccsdiff:
>
> ------- TimeZone.java -------
> 606,610c606
> <       if (hasPermission()) {
> <           defaultTimeZone = tz;
> <       } else {
> <           defaultZoneTL.set(tz);
> <       }
> ---
>>       defaultTimeZone = tz;
> 640a637
>>               defaultZoneTL.set(null);
>
> There was another file involved in this change,
> windows/native/java/util/TimeZone_md.c:
>
> ------- TimeZone_md.c -------
> 199a200
>>         bufSize = sizeof(val);
> 347c348
> <     valueSize = MAX_ZONE_CHAR;
> ---
>>     valueSize = MAX_MAPID_LENGTH;
>
> This is also the current difference between the OpenJDK 6 and JDK 7 versions
> of this file.
>
>> The test case included in the webrev is from Mark Wielaard and is
>> contributed through Red Hat's SCA.
>>

> There appears to be some test coverage of this change in still-closed
> regression tests.
>
>> CCing i18n-dev in case they have any input; it would be nice to have
>> the test case in 7 too as well as the fix.
>>

> I'll approve this change going back if the change from the JDK 7 version of
> TimeZone.java and TimeZone_md.c are both applied to OpenJDK 6 and if the
> @bug line in the test includes 6584033.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Joe

I added the fixes mentioned and tried to push. I was greeted with this:

remote:
remote: test/java/util/TimeZone/TimeZoneDatePermissionCheck.sh:
Executable files not permitted
remote:

Funny because:

$ find test -name '*.sh'|wc -l
305

And no it isn't because of the executable permission bit, I did a
chmod -x to be sure and it still didn't push :(
--
Andrew :-)

Free Java Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc. (http://www.redhat.com)

Support Free Java!
http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath
http://openjdk.java.net

PGP Key: 94EFD9D8 (http://subkeys.pgp.net)
Fingerprint: F8EF F1EA 401E 2E60 15FA  7927 142C 2591 94EF D9D8