<i18n dev> UTS18 clarifications

Mark Davis ☕ mark at macchiato.com
Tue Jan 25 17:19:04 PST 2011

There's been a long and interesting discussion on this list.

We are coming up to a quarterly Unicode Technical Committee meeting
(starting Feb 7), so there is the opportunity to make requests / proposals
about UTS18. In particular, if there are areas of the spec that are unclear
or features that people would like to see added or changed, a proposal can
be submitted. Such a proposal could take the form of a simple request for
clarification, such as:

The text ... is unclear; it could mean X or Y; could this be clarified?

Or it could have a proposed disposition, such as:

The text ... is unclear; it could mean X or Y; I recommend that the wording
be changed to be explicitly X, because of the following reasons....

Proposals can be submitted on http://www.unicode.org/reporting.html. It is
best if different topics be in different proposals.

NB, the way the committee works, any proposal would be reviewed by the
committee, and draft text inserted into a proposed update. That update would
go out for public review, so people would have a chance to comment on it,
make other recommendations, etc.

Mark