<i18n dev> <i18n> Performance patch for DateFormatSymbols.getZoneIndex(String)

Deven You youdwei at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Sun Apr 8 20:10:43 PDT 2012

Hi i18n-devs,

The getZoneIndex() method is expensive and it's performance depends on
which timezone you're in. This is because the code steps through a list
of timezones until it finds the current one. This is happening over and
over again. An idea would be to either cache it or rewrite the way we
store time zone ids, such as a hashmap instead of an array.
This patch[1] is for the cache option.

Applications which  format/parse dates using SimpleDateFormat repeatedly
may obtain benefits from this patch, especially when run in a timezone
far down the zoneStrings array the improvements will be even bigger.

I have written a test case[2] which shows when a timezone which is in
lower end of the zone strings array, the performance improvement this
patch can get.

test results:

no patch:
The total time is 742 ms!

with this patch[1] :
The total time is 508 ms!

If increase the loop times to 1000000, the results are:

no patch:
The total time is 4743 ms!

with this patch[1] :
The total time is 2126 ms!

The java version is:

/home/deven/hgrps/jdk8/build/linux-i586/j2sdk-image/bin/java -version
openjdk version "1.8.0-internal"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build
1.8.0-internal-deven_2012_03_14_16_14-b00)
OpenJDK Server VM (build 24.0-b02, mixed mode)

[1] http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~youdwei/DateFormatSymbol_perf/webrev.00/
<http://cr.openjdk.java.net/%7Eyoudwei/DateFormatSymbol_perf/webrev.00/>
[2] GetZoneIndexTest.java