<i18n dev> Codereview request for 6995537: different behavior in iso-2022-jp encoding between jdk131/140/141 and jdk142/5/6/7

Jason Mehrens jason_mehrens at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 9 10:24:29 PST 2012

Sherman,

As a workaround, what about allowing a write of empty string or empty char array to call flushBuffer?  If you call PrintStream.print("") then flushBuffer is called on the internal writers.  But if you try the same by doing OuputStreamWriter.write("") the flushbuffer call is trapped by a zero len if condition in StreamEncoder.write(char[], int, int).  That seems inconsistent.  If that check was removed then the workaround would be:

ByteArrayOutputStream bos = new ByteArrayOutputStream();
String str = "\u6700";
OutputStreamWriter osw = new OutputStreamWriter(bos, "iso-2022-jp");
osw.write(str, 0, str.length());
osw.write(""); //Flush buffer.
osw.flush(); //Flush stream.

It's not pretty but, it would allow the caller to choose when flushBuffer is called.

Jason