<i18n dev> <AWT Dev> [8] Review request for 6789984: JPasswordField can not receive keyboard input

Anton Litvinov anton.litvinov at oracle.com
Sun Nov 11 12:07:03 PST 2012

Hello Naoto,

Could you, please, review a modified version of the fix, where a former
duplicating code "endComposition();disableInputMethod()" was substituted
for one call to "stopListening()". Also larger testing of the fix was
done on Linux and Windows machine.

Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~alitvinov/6789984/webrev.01

I came to a conclusion that substitution of call to
"disableInputMethod()" for "stopListening()" in
"sun.awt.im.InputContext", which is code shared between different
platforms, will not lead to any changes on platforms other than Linux
and Solaris. In order to prove this the following facts are provided:

 1. Windows implementation of InputMethodAdapter
    "jdk/src/windows/classes/sun/awt/windows/WInputMethod.java" does
    nothing except calling "disableInputMethod()" from its overridden
    "stopListening()", which means that this fix will not change the
    logic in Windows implementation.
 2. Mac OS implementation of InputMethodAdapter
    "jdk/src/macosx/classes/sun/lwawt/macosx/CInputMethod.java" does not
    override "stopListening()" at all and has just a stub implementation
    of "disableInputMethod()", thus the fix cannot influence behavior of
    InputMethodAdapter on Mac OS.

The following tests were run on Linux and Windows with enabled input
methods, and no negative changes in tests' results for JDK without/with
fix were observed:

 1. Manual/automatic jtreg tests from java/awt/im directory.
 2. Automatic jtreg tests from Focus, keyboard, KeyboardFocusmanager
    directories.
 3. JCK tests from "api/java_awt/im" and "api/java_awt/InputMethod".

Thank you,
Anton