<i18n dev> [8]Request for Review: 8007038: ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException on calling localizedDateTime().print() with JapaneseChrono

Masayoshi Okutsu masayoshi.okutsu at oracle.com
Wed Jan 30 23:19:00 PST 2013

The caller of CalendarNameProvider is responsible for specifying the
calendar type to use. The locale gives what language to use for names.
Otherwise, a call like provider.getDisplayName("gregory", ERA, 1, SHORT,
Locale.forLanguageTag("ja-JP-u-ca-japanese")) works wrong.

This may be confusing. So I did put a note to the SPI documentation to
avoid this confusion.

    |calendarType| - the calendar type. (Any calendar type given by
    |locale| is ignored.)

The stack trace seems to show the following call (equivalent) was made.

provider.getDisplayName("gregory", ERA, 2, SHORT,
Locale.forLanguageTag("ja-JP-u-ca-japanese"))

Maybe the value parameter should be checked. A question is that it
should return null or throw an IllegalArgumentException.

Thanks,
Masayoshi