<i18n dev> Problems drawing supplemental characters in Java.

Phil Race philip.race at oracle.com
Mon Apr 28 20:29:25 UTC 2014

Sorry .. I have been out on vacation .. and before that over-looked this
email anyway.

I do not have a workaround here.

I had supposed the emoji fonts provide the colour image as an
alternative that some
APIs understand and that any code asking directly for a normal glyph
image would get it
but I'd have to investigate what is happening in JDK code and how this
can be resolved.
Perhaps the emoji can be co-erced into being an ImageGraphicAttribute and we
can use TextLayout to handle it but I suspect there'll be snags ..

Obviously the crash needs to be looked at .. surprised no one has
reported that before.

-Phil.