<i18n dev> [9] RFR 8038436: Re-examine the mechanism to determine available localedata and cldrdata

Naoto Sato naoto.sato at oracle.com
Fri Aug 29 20:15:17 UTC 2014

On 8/29/14, 6:29 AM, Alan Bateman wrote:

> I'm still not sure about CLDRLocaleProviderAdapter throwing UOE when
> iterating over the installed LocaleDataMetaInfo implementations fail. It
> almost feels like it should be an InternalError as it could only mean
> something wrong with the JDK code or something broken in the JDK
> installation.

This can happen when the user mistakenly specify java.locale.providers
with CLDR on a profile without CLDR's locale data installed, such as
compact ones in JDK8.

> I have the same concern in
> JRELocaleProviderAdapter.createSupportedLocaleString where it would be
> even more difficult to diagnose why non-English locales appear to be
> missing.

It would be desirable to have some kind of better diagnose mechanism,
but I think that would be an enhancement and out of the scope for this CR.

Will address other suggestions in the next webrev.

Naoto