<i18n dev> [9] RFR 8038436: Re-examine the mechanism to determine available localedata and cldrdata

Mandy Chung mandy.chung at oracle.com
Tue Sep 2 18:48:55 UTC 2014

On 8/29/14 2:07 PM, Naoto Sato wrote:
> I incorporated the suggestions from Mandy and Alan. Also one change
> since the last webrev was to revert the hard-coding of the supported
> locales list back to the one which dynamically generates the lists at
> the build time. I initially thought static listing of locales would be
> less complex as to the build script/makefile, but on second thought
> it's less evil than possible future regressions.
>
> Please review:
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~naoto/8038436/webrev.5/

Looks okay.  This patch looks simpler which is good.

GensrcCLDR.gmk and GensrcLocaleDataMetaInfo.gmk generate sources for
java.base and jdk.localedata.  I think we should re-examine to modify
the tool e.g. to take an input parameter specifying which locales or
module the source is generated for.  This will make the i18 build
better fit the new modular build logic such that Gensrc-java.base.gmk
generates the source for java.base and a new Gensrc-jdk.localedata.gmk
generates the source for jdk.localedata.  Can you re-examine the
build logic when you work on JDK-8048588?

I see that you file JDK-8057075 which is good.  As you recalled, it
took us quite some time to diagnose the security permission issue
your test case ran into and didn't realize the silent failover is
an existing behavior.

Mandy