<i18n dev> DateFormatSymbols triggers this.clone() in the constructor

Yoshito Umaoka y.umaoka at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 03:22:27 UTC 2015

Sato-san,

Yes, it's not thing wrong to check null in the clone() method, and
that's what I did to avoid this problem. But what we can do there is to
skip cloning the field in our code only.

With the current Java implementation, I'm pretty sure that it won't
cause any actual problem, because Java implementation does not call any
methods on the cached copy. The implementation only reads previously
initialized symbols (such as weekday name, month names) by directly
accessing the fields.

However, if the implementation is changed in future and calls any
DateFormatSymbols' public method, our subclass won't work because our
class overrides these methods and expects the field (which is supposed
to be initialized by our class's constructor) is null.

I'm not suggesting that Java DateFormatSymbols should not utilize a
cache storing symbols initialized from resource bundles. My point is -
caching an instance of DateFormatSymbols itself could be dangerous
because of the reason I explained above.

I think the right thing to do is to create a private class object
holding these symbols (this can be a singleton per Locale) separate from
DateFormatSymbols - and DateFormatSymbols constructor just copy the
field to a new DateFormatSymbols 2nd time.

For example, creating a private class:

private static class SymbolsCacheEntry {
     String eras[];
     String months[];
     String patternChars;
}

Then actual locale data is once loaded into SymbolsCacheEntry - and
cached. When DateFormatSymbols constructor is called 2nd time,
"copyMembers()" copies field values from an instance of
SymbolsCacheEntry (instead of cached DateFormatSymbols), that is,

private void copyMembers(SymbolsCacheEntry src, DateFormatSymbols dst) {
     dst.eras = Arrays.copyOf(src.eras, src.eras.length);
}

By doing so, the implementation can avoid premature (and potentially
dangerous) DateFormatSymbols subclass instance.

Anyway, if Java guarantees that the implementation will never call
DateFormatSymbols methods (such as getMonths()) in future and just
directly accessing Java's DateFormatSymbols' own fields, then I'm OK
with it. (In this case, I would suggest Java team to add some comments
in the source code, so future maintainer of the Java code can understand
the risk.)

Thanks,
Yoshito