<i18n dev> RFR 9 7131356 : (props) "No Java runtime present, requesting install" when creating VM from JNI [macosx]

Brent Christian brent.christian at oracle.com
Mon Jun 20 21:34:49 UTC 2016

On 6/13/16 5:14 PM, Naoto Sato wrote:

>>> So does this mean the new code will not honor the "Region" in the OSX's
>>> system preference? For example, what happens if the user sets "UK" for
>>> the "Region" in the preference, then the new code return "US" for the
>>> country?
>>
>> OS X's Region preference is reflected as the locale's "format", through
>> the "user.country.format" system property, and
>> Locale.getDefault(Locale.FORMAT).
>>
>> The region is not reflected in the base "user.country" property or
>> Locale.getDefault().  As the existing source comment indicates, the
>> country is mapped to the default for the language, in this case, "US".
>>
>> It seemed a bit strange to me, too, but my testing indicates this has
>> been the behavior since jdk 7u4.
>
> I think that is a bug. It should adopt "UK" for the default/display
> locale too. Probably this should be addressed in a separate bug.

After some more investigation, I don't believe there is a bug here.

The behavior I saw happened when using the basic
"English"/"French"/"German" languages, and changing the country with Region.

OS X also provides regional options for the language itself (e.g.
"British English", "Canadian French", "Swiss German", etc) in Preferred
languages.  When using these languages, defaults are as expected (e.g.
reflected in "user.country") without remapping with mapLookup().

Thanks,
-Brent