<i18n dev> RFR: 8151876: (tz) Support tzdata2016b

Ramanand Patil ramanand.patil at oracle.com
Wed Mar 16 19:38:38 UTC 2016

Hi all,

Please review the latest TZDATA (tzdata2016b) integration to JDK9.

Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~rpatil/8151876/webrev.00/

All the TimeZone related tests are passed after integration.

Please note that, as per the release notes: As a trial of a new system that needs less information to be made up, the new zones use numeric time zone abbreviations like "+04" instead of invented abbreviations like "ASTT".

Since this is a trial system, I have ignored this in the current patch which adds 3 new timezones. But I think it's worth discussing this new system along with this bug and get the experts opinion on this.

Do you think that JDK should also follow these IANA timezone naming system for zone abbreviations in future ?  Will it be convenient to use such numeric time zone abbreviations ? (Also, it looks like the abbreviations similar to "+03/+04" will be used for the zones linked to the rule set with changing letters like: EST/EDT for US, MSK/MSD for RU, etc..).

Regards,

Ramanand.