<i18n dev> DateFormatSymbols for Locale.GERMAN changed form Java 8 to Java 9

Simon Willnauer simon at elastic.co
Wed Dec 20 16:56:46 UTC 2017

Hey folks,

I have this simple test that I run with java 9.0.1 as well as java 1.8_131

DateFormatSymbols s = new DateFormatSymbols(Locale.GERMAN);
System.out.println(Arrays.toString(s.getShortWeekdays()));

on Java 9 it prints this:

[, So., Mo., Di., Mi., Do., Fr., Sa.]

while on Java 1.8 and below it prints:

[, So, Mo, Di, Mi, Do, Fr, Sa]

This is also true for Month in the German local. I didn't test
anything else but I wonder if this is expected or if it is considered
a bug. I also raised an issue against JodaTime which relies on this
here [1]. I ran into this a while ago on elasticsearch here [2] but
just picked it up. I wish I had done this earlier!

thanks,

simon

[1] https://github.com/JodaOrg/joda-time/issues/462
[2] https://github.com/elastic/elasticsearch/issues/10984