<i18n dev> [9] RFR: 8171189: Deprecate ResourceBundleControlProvider for removal

Yoshito Umaoka y.umaoka at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 09:13:51 UTC 2017

On 1/6/2017 3:36 AM, Alan Bateman wrote:
> On 05/01/2017 22:44, Yoshito Umaoka wrote:
>

>> Wow..  We utilize ResourceBundleControlProvider SPI and our software
>> heavily depends on it
>> [https://github.com/IBM-Bluemix/gp-java-client]. This is only the way
>> to inject custom resource loading logic without affecting existing code.
>>
> Does this project rely on the extension mechanism?
>
> -Alan

Yes. See
https://github.com/IBM-Bluemix/gp-java-client#using-resourcebundlecontrolprovider-spi-java-8-or-later

The jar file contains java.util.spi.ResourceBundleControlProvider
[https://github.com/IBM-Bluemix/gp-java-client/blob/master/src/main/resources/META-INF/services/java.util.spi.ResourceBundleControlProvider],
so a consumer of this library just need to drop the jar in the Java's
extension directory.

We suggest people to take this approach, because it does not require
existing code changes at all (that means, they can easily enable/disable
the extended feature with no source code changes). Of course, the
library works fine if the consumer of this library explicitly specify
the ResourceBundleControl implementation, but such approach does not
work well if resource bundles are consumed indirectly.

-Yoshito