<i18n dev> ResourceBundleControlProvider replacement for java 9?

Romain Manni-Bucau rmannibucau at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 08:48:02 UTC 2018

Hi guys,

Opened https://bugs.java.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=JDK-8193680 and
it got closed - not fully sure what was missing - but I got the
recommandation to contact that list on that topic.

The issue is simple: java 8 introduced ResourceBundleControlProvider which
is really nice and allows to replace the resource bundle lookup for all the
app transparently. Concretely in my case I get the translations from a rest
service in one case or - as a fallback - from a specific folder on the
filesystem. You will note that both are outside the application.

I didn't find a way to migrate my application to named modules because
there is no replacement for that feature in java 9 if you are outside
unamed modules. The ResourceBundleProvider was looking like a good
candidate but is too impacting and requires to modify the bundle itself.

Any way to avoid functional regressions and migrate to java 9 named modules?

Thanks,
Romain Manni-Bucau
LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/in/rmannibucau>