<i18n dev> Turkish Time Zone name string and translation

Yang, Letu letuyang at amazon.com
Fri Nov 15 23:19:46 UTC 2019

Hi,

We recently found an issue with the Time Zone name for “Europe/Istanbul” and "Asian/Istanbul". Since Turkey moved to their own Turkish Time (TRT) zone in 2016, although the tzdata had been updated, the Time Zone name string has not been updated yet:

https://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk/jdk/file/8e7f29b1ad4a/src/java.base/share/classes/sun/util/resources/TimeZoneNames.java#l836

It still returns "Eastern European Time" for the TimeZone.getDisplayName call, which has a summer time while Turkish Time does not. An entry for TRT need to be added to this file, and assign to both "Europe/Istanbul" and "Asian/Istanbul". This also need to be updated for other locales. I can create a JBS issue for this, but I am not sure whether we should fix this bug, or there is an existing procedure for this kind of bug which requires language translation.

Letu