<i18n dev> RFR [15] 8243541: (tz) Upgrade time-zone data to tzdata2020a

Martin Buchholz martinrb at google.com
Mon Apr 27 14:16:40 UTC 2020

Hi Kiran,

Thanks for working on this update so promptly.

The innocent renaming of America/Godthab to America/Nuuk is causing much
trouble.
Since it's a renaming, both names remain and I expected them to have the
same metadata.
So I expected the entries in TimeZoneNames.java and the translations in
e.g.TimeZoneNames_de.java to have parallel entries for both names.
Which is what happened with Asia/Rangoon rename to Asia/Yangon.
Consider the output of
 $ find . -type f -name '*.java' | xargs grep -E 'Asia/(Rangoon|Yangon)'

(I wish IANA would coordinate their tzdata releases with ICU CLDR releases,
but apparently they don't)

(I help keep Google's java programs up to date with tzdata)