<i18n dev> [jdk17] RFR: 8269409: Post JEP 411 refactoring: core-libs with maximum covering > 10K [v2]

Daniel Fuchs dfuchs at openjdk.java.net
Mon Jun 28 12:24:05 UTC 2021

On Sat, 26 Jun 2021 23:55:46 GMT, Weijun Wang <weijun at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> src/jdk.attach/share/classes/sun/tools/attach/HotSpotVirtualMachine.java line 53:
>>
>>> 51:     private static final long CURRENT_PID = AccessController.doPrivileged(
>>> 52:             (PrivilegedAction<ProcessHandle>) ProcessHandle::current).pid();
>>> 53:
>>
>> The original code separated out the declaration of the PrivilegedAction to avoid this cast. If you move the code from the original static initializer into a static method that it called from initializer then it might provide you with a cleaner way to refactor this. There are several other places in this patch that could do with similar cleanup.
>
> This cast is only to tell the compiler which overloaded method to call, and I don't think there will be a real cast at runtime. It might look a little ugly but extracting it into a variable declaration/definition plus a new `initStatic` method seems not worth doing, IMHO.

Why not simply declare a local variable in the static initializer below?

    private static final long CURRENT_PID;
    private static final boolean ALLOW_ATTACH_SELF;
    static {
        PrivilegedAction<ProcessHandle> pa = ProcessHandle::current;
        @SuppressWarnings("removal")
        long pid = AccessController.doPrivileged(pa).pid();
        CURRENT_PID = pid;
        String s = VM.getSavedProperty("jdk.attach.allowAttachSelf");
        ALLOW_ATTACH_SELF = "".equals(s) || Boolean.parseBoolean(s);
    }