<i18n dev> RFR: 8267521: Post JEP 411 refactoring: maximum covering > 50K [v3]

Weijun Wang weijun at openjdk.java.net
Fri May 28 03:22:03 UTC 2021

On Fri, 28 May 2021 03:12:35 GMT, Phil Race <prr at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> There *is* a tiny refactoring here: a new variable `s2` is introduced so the 2nd `doPrivileged` call on line 636 is now also in a declaration statement (for `s2`) and therefore annotatable. Without this I cannot add the annotation on line 635.
>
> Ok. But I will quote you
> "This happens when a deprecated method is called inside a static block. The annotation can only be added to a declaration and here it must be the whole class"
>
> So the way you explained this before made it sound like any time there was any SM API usage in a static block, the entire class needed to be annotated.
>
> Why has the explanation changed ?

I should have been more precise. An annotation can only be added on a declaration, whether it's a variable, a method, or a class. Static block is not a declaration and the only one covers it is the class. But then if it's on a local variable declaration inside a static block, we certainly can annotate on that variable.