<i18n dev> RFR: 8276348: Use blessed modifier order in java.base

Pavel Rappo prappo at openjdk.java.net
Tue Nov 2 19:59:14 UTC 2021

On Tue, 2 Nov 2021 19:22:15 GMT, Pavel Rappo <prappo at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> src/java.base/share/classes/java/lang/invoke/CallSite.java line 88:
>>
>>> 86:  */
>>> 87: public
>>> 88: abstract class CallSite {
>>
>> I think it's better to move all modifiers to the single line.
>
> This is a survivorship bias. This example jumps out at you, because it happens to use missorted modifiers. I'm pretty sure this is not an aberration, but a style. If you want to change that style, you should create a respective JBS issue.

I've grepped the code and can now see that a list of modifiers broken by newlines which cannot be explained by line-width concerns is indeed an irregularity. Not only in java.base but also in other modules. Although there aren't many of such cases, I would prefer them to be addressed in a separate cleanup, which you are welcome to pursue.