<i18n dev> RFR: 8274544: Langtools command's usage were garbled on Japanese Windows [v5]

Ichiroh Takiguchi itakiguchi at openjdk.java.net
Sun Nov 14 16:48:39 UTC 2021

On Wed, 10 Nov 2021 21:19:30 GMT, Naoto Sato <naoto at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Ichiroh Takiguchi has updated the pull request with a new target base due to a merge or a rebase. The pull request now contains five commits:
>>
>>  - 8274544: Langtools command's usage were garbled on Japanese Windows
>>  - 8274544: Langtools command's usage were garbled on Japanese Windows
>>  - 8274544: Langtools command's usage were garbled on Japanese Windows
>>  - 8274544: Langtools command's usage were garbled on Japanese Windows
>>  - Langtools command's usage were grabled on Japanese Windows
>
> Good suggestions. Filed a JBS issue: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8276970

Hello @naotoj .
For PrintStream.getCharset(), following changes may be required.

+++ src/java.base/share/classes/java/io/OutputStreamWriter.java
+    Charset getCharset() {
+        return se.getCharset();
+    }

+++ src/java.base/share/classes/java/io/PrintStream.java
+    public Charset getCharset() {
+        return charOut.getCharset();
+    }

+++ src/java.base/share/classes/sun/nio/cs/StreamEncoder.java
+    public Charset getCharset() {
+        return cs;
+    }

For javac code, we may not use PrintStream.getCharset() directly because javac code is compiled by boot compiler.
We need to use reflection, like:

+++ src/jdk.compiler/share/classes/com/sun/tools/javac/util/Log.java
+    private static Charset getCharset(PrintStream ps) {
+        try {
+            Method getCharset = PrintStream.class.getDeclaredMethod("getCharset");
+            return (Charset)getCharset.invoke(ps);
+        } catch (Exception e) {
+            return Charset.defaultCharset();
+        }
+    }

If we add following constructors against PrintWriter, we just change javap and jshell code.
But I cannot evaluate this code changes.

+++ src/java.base/share/classes/java/io/PrintWriter.java
+    public PrintWriter(PrintStream ps) {
+       this((OutputStream)ps, false, ps.getCharset());
+    }
+    public PrintWriter(PrintStream ps, boolean autoFlush) {
+       this((OutputStream)ps, autoFlush, ps.getCharset());
+    }

I really appreciate if you handle this kind of code change via JEP-400.