<i18n dev> RFR: 8277398: javac does not accept encoding name COMPAT [v2]

Naoto Sato naoto at openjdk.java.net
Wed Nov 24 13:58:05 UTC 2021

On Wed, 24 Nov 2021 04:08:43 GMT, Ichiroh Takiguchi <itakiguchi at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> ncoding name COMPAT was defined for operating system encoding by JEP-400.
>> https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/400
>> But java does not accept "-encoding COMPAT".
>
> Ichiroh Takiguchi has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional commit since the last revision:
>
>   8277398: javac does not accept encoding name COMPAT

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear, but I totally agree with Alan. `COMPAT` is meant for apps for their migration to JDK18, not something we would want to promote as a feature. `Charset.forName("COMPAT")` was an example we would not do, leading to my point that we should not add the proposed javac/javadoc compiler flag.