<i18n dev> RFR: 8277398: javac does not accept encoding name COMPAT [v2]

Ichiroh Takiguchi itakiguchi at openjdk.java.net
Wed Nov 24 22:49:03 UTC 2021

On Wed, 24 Nov 2021 18:35:45 GMT, Naoto Sato <naoto at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Ichiroh Takiguchi has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional commit since the last revision:
>>
>>   8277398: javac does not accept encoding name COMPAT
>
> Sorry, but I am kind of lost what you are expecting here. All the logs that you provided seem to be working exactly what is expected. Are you expecting `COMPAT` to auto-detect the source file (Hello.java) encoding?

Hello @naotoj .
I'm sorry, my explanation was not enough.
I prefer to use `-encoding XXX` option for javac instead of `-J-Dfile.encoding=COMPAT` since working behavior is not same.
But I don't want to find out native encoding name `XXX` before compilation.
Native encoding name is not easy to find out without executing java,
Locale's charmap name was `EUC-JP`, but Java's encoding name was `EUC-JP-LINUX` in the above case.
I think another option is required to reference native encoding.
`-encoding COMPAT` is one example.