<i18n dev> RFR: 8284893: Fix typos in java.base

Pavel Rappo prappo at openjdk.java.net
Fri Apr 15 11:46:44 UTC 2022

On Thu, 14 Apr 2022 19:07:09 GMT, Magnus Ihse Bursie <ihse at openjdk.org> wrote:

> I ran `codespell` on the `src/java.base` directory, and accepted those changes where it indeed discovered real typos.
>
> (Due to false positives this can unfortunately not be run automatically)
>
> The majority of fixes are in comments. A handful is in strings, one in a local variable name, and a couple in parameter declarations.
>
> Annoyingly, there are several instances of "childs" (instead of "children") in the source code, but they were not local and I dared not change them. Someone braver than me might take a stab at it, perhaps..

src/java.base/share/legal/icu.md line 310:

> 308:  #  list of conditions and the following disclaimer. Redistributions in binary
> 309:  #  form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and
> 310:  #  the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or the materials

I think it's a mistype of "other", not "the"; look at the similar text below.

src/java.base/share/native/libzip/zlib/ChangeLog line 99:

> 97: - Simplify contrib/vstudio/vc10 with 'd' suffix
> 98: - Add TOP support to win32/Makefile.msc
> 99: - Support i686 and amd64 assembler builds in CMakeLists.txt

Similarly to Naoto's comment on ICU: shouldn't we leave this as is? If anybody cares enough about this typo, they could file a bug against zlib directly.

src/java.base/share/native/libzip/zlib/README line 67:

> 65:   when compiled with cc.
> 66:
> 67: - On Digital Unix 4.0D (formerly OSF/1) on AlphaServer, the cc option -std1 is

Same as above.