<i18n dev> RFR: 8289834: Add SBCS and DBCS Only EBCDIC charsets

Alan Bateman alanb at openjdk.org
Mon Aug 8 09:26:22 UTC 2022

On Mon, 8 Aug 2022 00:19:57 GMT, Ichiroh Takiguchi <itakiguchi at openjdk.org> wrote:

> As you know `sun.nio.cs.ArrayDecoder` and `sun.nio.cs.ArrayEncoder`interface have performance advantage. And some other performance advantages are there on built-in charset decoder/encoder. Is it possible to create simple public API by using `sun.nio.cs.SingleByte` and `sun.nio.cs.DoubleByte*` classes? We'd like to use stable conversion loop.

If they have ASCII compatible regions then that may be so but I haven't see any performance data published on that. Do you know if any experiments that have deployed a CharsetProvider for the EBCDIC charsets and compared the performance with the charsets that in the JDK? There may be merit in exploring adding base abstracts implementations of CharsetEncoder/CharsetDecoder to java.nio.charsets.spi to support single and double byte charsets to see how such base implementations might look, how they would help performance, and if there are any security downsides.