<i18n dev> RFR: 8291916: Unexpected output on Arabic Windows command prompt

Naoto Sato naoto at openjdk.org
Tue Aug 9 20:40:40 UTC 2022

On Fri, 5 Aug 2022 02:15:21 GMT, Ichiroh Takiguchi <itakiguchi at openjdk.org> wrote:

> To support Windows command prompt's codepage, following charsets should be moved from jdk.charsets module to java.base module.
>
> - IBM860
> - IBM861
> - IBM863
> - IBM864
> - IBM865
> - IBM869

I looked at this issue a bit more. It looks to me that the issue is caused by the fact that the encoding of `System.out` falls back to the default encoding, as `IBM864` is not in `java.base`. This issue seems not new and reproducible with the releases since JDK9 where modularization has been introduced. Also, I think other encodings than those `IBM*` listed here, can possibly cause this issue. In order to fix this completely, those obscure encodings also have to be in `java.base` which I don't think we would want to do.