<i18n dev> RFR: 8287902: UnreadableRB case in MissingResourceCauseTest is not working reliably on Windows

Jaikiran Pai jpai at openjdk.java.net
Wed Jun 8 15:27:32 UTC 2022

On Tue, 7 Jun 2022 12:19:29 GMT, Magnus Ihse Bursie <ihse at openjdk.org> wrote:

> I have failed to reproduce the working conditions that makes a file actually unreadable for the owner on Windows, neither on my GHA test repo, nor locally.

I had quick look at the CI setup we have access to. It appears that this test passes there successfully on Windows. Could it be something to do with Windows version being used?

test/jdk/java/util/ResourceBundle/Control/MissingResourceCauseTest.java line 48:

> 46:     private static void callGetBundle(String baseName, Locale locale,
> 47:                                       Class<? extends Throwable> expectedCause) {
> 48:         if (baseName.equals("UnreadableRB") && System.getProperty("os.name").startsWith("Windows")) {

Hello @magicus, perhaps we could do this check in the `main` of this class (line 37) before calling the `callGetBundle` for the `UnreadableRB` base name? That way this method doesn't have to bother about which `baseName` is being passed.

I had a quick look at how other tests do the OS name checks and they use the `Platform.isWindows()` API which is part of the test library. I suspect you may not be able to use it here though since this `MissingResourceCauseTest` class gets launched manually through the `MissingResourceCauseTestRun`. So using `System.getProperty` I think is fine. Nit - perhaps we could match this check to do whatever `Platform.isWindows()` is doing (which seems to be checking that the os name starts with `win`, ignoring the case).