<i18n dev> RFR: 8288723: Avoid redundant ConcurrentHashMap.get call in java.time

Attila Szegedi attila at openjdk.org
Tue Jun 21 09:38:57 UTC 2022

On Mon, 20 Jun 2022 15:01:55 GMT, liach <duke at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> src/java.base/share/classes/java/time/format/DateTimeTextProvider.java line 319:
>>
>>> 317:                 store = prev;
>>> 318:             }

@liach advance apologies for nitpicking: `ConcurrentHashMap` doesn't in general block while the mapping function runs. It can block _some_ concurrent updates, namely those that [hash to the same bin](https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/blob/0f801fe6fd2fcc181121f9846f6869ca3a03e18a/src/java.base/share/classes/java/util/concurrent/ConcurrentHashMap.java*L324__;Iw!!ACWV5N9M2RV99hQ!P8yoeMlnUvtHjkt7aASC3W7kORgt-CC1N4xL3_4BkfK5KkZEmK_YY4Tcz-rBdSQCce1bIAa1kfyoNVMycumg$ ) and it won't block concurrent reads. I'm not saying the concern you raised isn't valid, just wanted to clarify that the situation is not nearly as grave as overall blocking; after all it ain't a `Collections.synchronizedMap` :-)