<i18n dev> RFR: 8257733: Move module-specific data from make to respective module [v6]

Alan Bateman Alan.Bateman at oracle.com
Wed Mar 16 19:53:11 UTC 2022

On 16/03/2022 08:44, Magnus Ihse Bursie wrote:
> :
>
> If you have such strong opinions on the data files shared between
> java.base and jdk.charsets/jdk.localedata, I propose we leave them in
> make/data for the time being, clean up the associated mess, and then
> work out where they actually should be. Does that sound okay to you?

The concern, as before, is that it puts data files into src/java.base
that are used by the build to generate classes/resources for the service
provider modules.  We also have the complication that the charsets to
include in java.base varies by platform so the module/package for each
charset is decided at build time. It's always been low-priority to
re-visit that and not clear if we could even get to an agreement easily
because there are IBM platforms that want EBCDIC and other double byte
charsets whereas other platforms don't want these in java.base. So yes,
if you can drop the move of the charset data and CLDR data from the
patch then it will make it easier to discuss.

You asked about the JDWP spec. This is the protocol spec that is used to
generate the spec in HTML, and source files for the debugger front-end
and backend (jdk.jdi and jdk.jdwp.agent modules). The "specs" directory
might be right. There is another source file (jdwp-spec.md) that isn't
in the src tree right now and they probably go together.

-Alan