<i18n dev> RFR: 8295729: Remove trailing whitespace from non-value lines in properties files [v2]

Magnus Ihse Bursie ihse at openjdk.org
Fri Oct 21 08:31:59 UTC 2022

On Fri, 21 Oct 2022 08:17:46 GMT, Magnus Ihse Bursie <ihse at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Properties files is essentially source code. It should have the same whitespace checks as all other source code, so we don't get spurious trailing whitespace changes.
>>
>> With the new Skara jcheck, it is possible to increase the coverage of the whitespace checks (in the old mercurial version, this was more or less impossible).
>>
>> The only manual change is to `.jcheck/conf`. All other changes were made by running `find . -type f -iname "*.properties" | xargs gsed -i -e 's/[ \t]*$//'`.
>
> Magnus Ihse Bursie has updated the pull request incrementally with two additional commits since the last revision:
>
>  - Remove check for .properties from jcheck
>  - Restore trailing whitespace for property values

Ok, I repurposed this PR to deal only with trailing space on non-value lines (comments and empty lines). This should be trivial, and will reduce the trailing spaces to only the value lines.

I believe most, but perhaps not all, trailing spaces in the value lines are actually bugs, but that will need further scrutiny by the owners of the properties files. Expect follow up bugs on this.