<i18n dev> RFR: 8295729: Add jcheck whitespace checking for properties files [v3]

Andy Goryachev angorya at openjdk.org
Mon Oct 24 20:12:02 UTC 2022

On Mon, 24 Oct 2022 19:58:31 GMT, Naoto Sato <naoto at openjdk.org> wrote:

> I think what we can do is check the original English properties values that the engineers provided, and if there is no trailing spaces there, we can safely remove trailing spaces in localized bundles.

Good idea! I wonder if this should be done as a unit test.  go through all the bundles and check leading/trailing whitespace.

in my experience, the translators also (unintentionally) change the quotes and other symbols, sometimes breaking the code.  I assume the JDK has been exhaustively tested and we have no such problems.